|Posted by SUDS on October 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM|
October 15, 2012
Dear AKC Canine Good Citizen Graduates,
We are extremely pleased to tell you that beginning in January 2013, as the result of frequent, ongoing requests from proud CGC dog owners, Canine Good Citizen® will become an official AKC title!
This means that CGC can be listed on your dog's record and you may use the suffix, "CGC" after the dog's name.
Key points related to CGC becoming a title are:
1. You will be able to choose to get the CGC certificate only ($8.00) or have CGC as an official title (the processing fee for the title is $20 and includes a certificate with your most recent AKC titles listed).
2. If your evaluator gave you an older test form that does not show the title option, there is a downloadable ADDENDUM that you can attach to your test form to request the title.
3. We will grandfather dogs who have already earned the CGC award (back to January 2001) if their owners wish to apply for the title. To have a CGC award "grandfathered" as a title, use the form, APPLICATION TO ADD CGC TO YOUR DOG'S TITLE RECORD: The Grandfathering Form. Many of you many want to add the title to formally recognize your CGC dogs who are now deceased — we are honored to offer this choice to memorialize your beloved dogs.
4. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy remains as it has been; it is not a title.
5. How soon can I apply for the title? We will not start entering titles until January 2, 2013. For dogs tested between now and January, you (as the dog's owner) have 3 options:
a. Submit the CGC Test/Registration Form now for the CGC Title option ($20: Certificate and CGC will be added to the dog's title record), understanding that your check will be cashed now but the CGC Test/Registration form will not be processed until January 2, 2013, or,
b. Submit the CGC Test/Registration form before January 2, 2013 choosing the $8: Certificate only option, and have the CGC Test/Registration form processed now for the Certificate Only. A Grandfathering Application (for CGC as a title) can be submitted at a later date. This option means that the dog owner will pay $8 now for the Certificate Only, and $20 when the choice is made later to apply for the official title. A new certificate will be sent when the CGC title is added to the dog's record.
c.Take the CGC test before January 2, 2013 and hold the paperwork until January if the owner is choosing the title option. This means that the owner will only pay the $20 title processing fee.
CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who successfully trained your dogs to the Canine Good Citizen test. We're proud of you!
Categories: News relating to dogs.